Monday, January 5, 2015

Tangier and the Beginning of the End

It is bizarre how quickly four weeks in a foreign country can fly by. With two classes, a documentary script project, learning a language or two and a culture and where to find food and how to get a taxi and how to ride a tram and which alleys of the streets have the cheapest items and which are a little sketchy and how to get to the beach and, figuring out how to stay warm in a freezing country where heat isn't a thing, bus rides on bus rides on bus rides, desperately searching for internet and wall outlets to charge things and downloading and uploading photos and editing and transcribing and desperately searching for bathrooms and toilet papers or something that will at least serve its purpose and lions and tigers and bears ...  we've been sort of busy the past month.

I've tried to blog. I've tried. Constantly being on the road and having wayyyy too much to do has been a challenge but here is my attempt to catch you up.

This weekend we went to Chef Chaun, which can be spelled a zillion different ways. Here is what I have to say about it. You. Have. To. Go. ... No really, you have to. You're entire life will change the moment you see those blue doorways in front of your eyes. I will try to post photos before I go home. Everything is blue. It is hilly and curvey and twisty and turvey by far the most beautiful place I've ever been. Cats and children and old women and fruit and scarves and rugs and kids playing soccer and Moroccan tea and everything in between. We only got to stay for one night and leaving was awful. If I ever make it back to Morocco, which I plan on doing. I will most definitely make time in my travels to stop in Chef Chaun again.

Next we headed to Tangier. In Tangier, from the coast, you can see Spain. I'm not kidding, at all. Spain. Like Spain. It is a 37 minute ferry ride from Tangier to Spain, but we weren't allowed to make the journey. From my bed I could sit up and no joke see Spain out the window. Out hotel was right across the street from the beach. For the day we drove to Assilah and toured the market and then Becca and I bought a soccer ball and brought it to the beach to play with everyone. We had a really great day. It was beautiful also.

We went back to Tangier and hung out our last night and morning. Becca and I worked on our project a lot and had the comfiest beds in the world. 

We took a long bus ride home and last night. Becca had bought a movie on iTunes so we ordered Pizza Hut and we watched a movie and passed out.

So that's my update. Now we're working on starting our script this week and doing some initial packing along with final shopping a long with studying for finals. Yikes.

Ba'Slama

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful experiences you are having Bri. I am honestly very happy you have chosen this line of study! You have the moxie for this type of living, and you and I are different in that way. So, I admire you more than you will ever know and I do wish I could see some....some of what you have witnessed...like the blue..all blue ...most beautiful place you've ever been...place....your published pictures in the Outpost are fantastic! love, gma gries

    ReplyDelete