Friday, January 9, 2015

Ba'Slama

I'm not ready to say ba'slama yet. But I guess I have to.

I need to come back here. It's on my list.

For now we took our final exam this morning in our Media in the Muslim World class, and Becca and I are just now wrapping up our visual appendix for our script, which we finished about thirty minutes ago.

We're exhausted and sad to leave. Sad to leave a place we've come to love so much.

I need to learn Arabic, and I need to graduate and I need to be a better visual story teller and I need to learn how to conduct anthropological research and I need to go to Spain, I need to keep traveling, flying walking taking trains taking boats and taking photos. Because at the end of these journeys that I make from time to time I feel whole. This trip was exactly what I'm meant to do. I'm a story teller and I'm just starting to learn how to do it. I'm fascinated by people, I'm fascinated by culture and language and clothes and food and geography, and I never ever want to stop learning from everyone around me.

More than even my time in Nepal I have really realized in the past four weeks how isolated we are as Americans. Home will always be home, and number one in my heart, but people are not the same everywhere and I think the best way to spend my life will be to talk to all the people, to learn from them, to photograph them, and to tell their stories, so that we can all learn from each other.

See you soon America!

(Next stop is most likely Spain so stay posted for a new blog in the coming months!)

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your blog, i think you have that writing DNA from gramma Nan which i love reading her little writings on Pinterest. I will be stopping over on Saturday to visit for a few minutes before you drive back to school.
    Be smart, be safe.
    Love you,
    granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Granny, give her a big old hug for me too...and thank you for the compliment. Bri, you do have the right idea for becoming an even better writer/photojournalist/story teller. Everyone has a story to tell, we all tell our stories in one way or another, and to be able to tell the stories of others for them, when they cannot or will not, is a beautiful thing to do. I do love what you have chosen to do and I wish you the very best in everything you choose to do in the future, near or far. Much love, come home safe and happy kiddo....gma gries

    ReplyDelete